Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which clutch kit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Drivetrain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swankOffline
Total posts: 92
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Which clutch kit? Reply with quote

I'm looking at Spec stage 3 clutch kits for NA supras to use with my W56. I noticed they have one clutch for 82-88 and another one for 89-98. The earlier one is cheaper but they both claim to have the same torque capacity.

I have an 89+ engine with the 7M crank, an 87 bellhousing and fork, and a 90 flywheel. I also have access to an 86 flywheel if that makes a difference

Does it matter which kit I get? Will the later one be stronger?
swankOffline
Total posts: 92
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to order this thing soon. Any suggestions?

I also noticed the 82-88 Supra N/A clutch kit is the same as the early 22RTE.
MikeOffline

Total posts: 272
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a 3200lb pressure plate from a small manufacturer in LA, and am currently running that along with a clutchnet six puck sprung hub disc. It's holding up great so far, with no slipping at all. I'll dig up the name of the pressure plate manufacturer.
supratruck88Offline

Total posts: 156
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up an RPS sport clutch thats made for a 93+ NA, seems to fit well, but i haven't got my truck runnin yet. I have the w56 and 7mgte set-up. Should know maybe in a week or 2.

http://www.needboost.com/part/rps_sport_clutches/toyota/
JMG4runnerOffline

Total posts: 180
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clutch from a 2J n/a seems to fit on there alright ? I'll have to check that out, i think i might have gotten some oil from my oil leak into the bellhousing since my clutch seemed to slip real bad the first time i hit full boost. I'm not really certain since i dont have a tach yet and i let off as soon as the boost gauge read 6+ psi. I wasnt trying to push it that hard yet, it just spools so damn fast. I never installed the lower front bellhousing cover initially, its on there now AFTER the fact Evil or Very Mad The clutch i have on there now is an upgraded mk3 N/A clutch, cant remember what brand since its been over a year since i bought it. My mind is going already and im only 23 Wink
jr85yotabeastOffline
Total posts: 80
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: non- turbo clutch? Reply with quote

Just to get this straight before I get my clutch. I have an 89 7mgte motor an 89 non-turbo bellhousing and a w56 transmission. Do I use the non-turbo clutch for that year?
4RnrRickOffline

Total posts: 243
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.....

If you planning in offroading the vehicle, i would get a stock spec clutch - it will be much easier to slip and won't be so grippy.

In my converiosn I ended up just using a stock 7m NA clucth and to me it seems a little too gripping when I need to slip it when I'm wheeeling. and that is with dual ultimate cases.....
jr85yotabeastOffline
Total posts: 80
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: clutch Reply with quote

Thanks! So a stock clutch will be ok then.. I thought that I would have to get a centerforce clutch or something similar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: