Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto behind a 7MGTE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Drivetrain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattydOffline
Total posts: 3
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Auto behind a 7MGTE Reply with quote

So, if I have it correct, if I were to want to put an Auto behind a 7MGTE, then I would have to design a custom bellhousing because the output shaft is not the right length to fit into the 4x4 transfer case. Is that correct?

My girlfriend is keen for me to get an 85 4runner and swap in the engine, but she is not legally allowed to drive a manual for at least two and half years. So for her complete support it needs to be an automatic gearbox so that she too can drive it.

Can it be done? (and still have the strength to handle the power)

Are there any reasons NOT to go manual? (fuel efficiency, etc)

Thanks, And THANKYOU to SuperRunner for getting this online community of swappers together.

Matt
F0ggyOffline
Total posts: 43
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea would be to use a divorced transfercase (NP203/205?) and just make a short custom driveshaft with the autotranny out put on one end and the transfercase on the other... Mabey one the the mid 90's pickups with auto will fit?
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto does not require a custom bellhousing. YOu just need to use the bellhousing from the supra. It will bolt right up to your 4x4 auto transmission. You will just have fun doing some custom wiring.

4x4 autos really aren't the strongest, at least the A340H. This is due to clutches that are used to activate the t-case and 4x4. These will usually go out premature. If you can get ahold of an A340F, they used a direct gear engagement and are pleanty strong.

Personally, for off-road, I like auto, but I am going 2wd auto with a divorced t-case. A340F's are to hard to find, plus I will be using a TT supra auto that are quite a bit stronger than the older supra and truck transmissions.

Matt, you are welcome. It has been fun putting this together, and I love adding new content, I just wish I had more time to do more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: