Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with a Timing belt on a V6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisOffline
Total posts: 6
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Help with a Timing belt on a V6 Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,
Well While I want to do the swap, the wife drives the 4Runner so untill I can know for sure how to do the AC, I will have to stick with V6. Its okay Im having fun with my other car.

Well Im at the point now where I have everything off but the crankshaft pulley (abrasion pulley or whatever toyota calls it) How do I get the nut off? Its got way more muscle than I do. So far I have tried putting two longer bolts in the pulley and putting a bar inbetween those bolts to hold the pulley still and then I put a 1/2 breaker bar with an aluminum pole on top of that so really I have about 5 feet of leverage. When I pull that and hold the bar inbetween the bolts on the pulley, it just bends the bolts...What can I do??

I have pictures but I dont see how to post them on here, thanks in advance I really appreciate it
ChrisOffline
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone think if I put an airgun on it, that will get the bolt loose??
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those things are on pretty tight. About 100lbs of torque...then you have to break the friction too. Probably need a 300lb gun to get it off.

So you can keep the crank from turning while you do this? You a manual or auto?
ChrisOffline
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can keep the pulley from turning but I cant keep the bolts Im holding it in place with from bending so I know its just a matter of time before the pulley bends. Its automatic also. I will try and get ahold of a 300 pound gun, hopefully I can find one to rent from somewhere. Thanks, I will post up what happens
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could always lock up the torque converter, put it high 4x4, use the e-brake and have someone step on the brake as well.
ChrisOffline
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to try and get a gun on it first, if not I might try that.

Does the starter bolts have anything to do with this? My haynes manual has this onle line blurb that says to take the starter bolts out, What does that have to do with anything?
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a clue, starter bolts wouldn't do anything.
ChrisOffline
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: I found the answer to this Reply with quote

Okay for anyone ever needing to do this to a v-6 or 22re motor I found out how to do this with out any special tools other than a 1/2 breaker bar and 19mm nut.
Once you finally have the pulley ready to come off and its time to take that nut off, place the breaker bar on the nut and put the other end of the breaker bar on the drivers side frame of the truck. Undue the coil wire to the distrubitor and turn the key of the truck one time to start it. Your not actually starting the truck your just getting it to turn over (thats why you undue the coil wire to the distrubitor, so it wont actually start)

This worked great for me Very Happy , nothing else has worked, after everything I have done I wanted to kick myself over how easy this was. I actually tried this in the beginning but I had an adapter on the 1/2 breaker bar and it broke like it was made of cheese, so I just assumed it didnt work, and I actually had the bar on the passenger side so that was no good.
ChrisOffline
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also one other bit of info that might help anyone. If your a little frustrated that toyota built this motor with the water pump behind the timing belt, toyota has a redeemable quality about it. If you buy a timing belt from toyota (Which IMO is the best one) it comes with Lines on the belt that match the marks of the Cam gears, so if you happen to get the timing off, you can move the cam gears where you need them. There is also a mark on the crankshaft and the bottom of the belt so you can make sure you have that timed right as well. Its a pretty sweet little feature. I hope my troubles can help someone else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: