Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What bellhousing/trans for high HP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Drivetrain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tig-321Offline
Total posts: 4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: What bellhousing/trans for high HP Reply with quote

I have a few drive train questions.
I have found an 88 7mgte engine with an auto ecu hac ect. to swap into my 1990 2dr 22re 4runner.
The 7m will not be staying stock.
I'm planning on the lexus afm/550 injector upgrade With a wide band af meter and boost controller
Once my wallet recovers from the swap.

I think it will be best to use the r154 bell housing so that I will have the best (strongest) clutch options.
Is this correct? I will be towing at some point.

I'm not sure which trans would be best.
I know its the r151 but finding one will be difficult and could seriously dent my budjet.

If i build a custom bell housing for the r150 v6 will I be able to use it on an r151.
I thought I read somewhere that you cannot, but I was told by someone who knows alot more than me that you can.

Should I just use an r154 with a divoreced tranfer case? or would the gearing really suck in a truck?
tig-321Offline
Total posts: 4
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some research (should have done this first) and to answer some of my own questions.

Quote:
I think it will be best to use the r154 bell housing so that I will have the best (strongest) clutch options.
Is this correct? I will be towing at some point.

I still think using the turbo bellhousing gives me the best cost for the torque held.
theres so many clutch options for turbo ro NA I geuss it doesn't matter what you decide.
For the time being i will be using the w58 na bell to mate to the w56 I already have.
I'll have to see how long it will last.

Quote:
If i build a custom bell housing for the r150 v6 will I be able to use it on an r151.
I thought I read somewhere that you cannot, but I was told by someone who knows alot more than me that you can.

The R151F and R150F Have the same input shaft length spline count and bellhousing pattern.
So if I build a bell housing for the R150F, and manage to find an R151F it should work for both.
Sorry I ever doubted you Laughing

Quote:
Should I just use an r154 with a divorced transfer case? or would the gearing really suck in a truck?

Yoda_Man wrote

Quote:
so heres the problem im currently running a R154/R150F combo this includes the gears from the R154 and the outputshaft from the R150F giving me a first gear ratio of 3.31... this sucks...

So that answers that.
I just like to say thanks to those that have contributed to this site and made it possible.
I'm sure I would not have attempted this without your help.
My engine will be in(and hopefully running) by the end of the month... I can't wait to fire it up
JMG4runnerOffline

Total posts: 180
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most questions you can ask have already been hashed out somewhere here, its just a matter of looking around and reading alot of posts Cool The site was also a life-saver in my journey of understanding everything that makes the swap work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: