Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom R151F bellhousing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Drivetrain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZrodOffline
Total posts: 43
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Custom R151F bellhousing Reply with quote

I finally got aroung to splicing the 7m engine side bellhousing to the back half of the R151F bellhousing. Everything looked good during fitting in the welding fixture. After, welding the bellhoushing halfs the mating surfaces were cut parallel on a mill. I still have to repair the threads for the slave cylinder. It looks like they may have been damaged at the salvage yard during removal. Then its on to installation. It'll be nice to have fifth gear back and the lower first gear will come in handy.

Rod
MikeOffline

Total posts: 272
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, post up some pics if you can
ZrodOffline
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Custom Bellhousing Pics Reply with quote

Try this link:

http://home.comcast.net/~vphyman/bellhousing.htm

That should work.

Rod
MikeOffline

Total posts: 272
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did the same thing - the heat from welding the two halves together pulled the starter mount out so much that it didn't get faced when milled parallel to the other side. But it's just the starter, and I'm sure it's not far off.

Looks nice!
ZrodOffline
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Thermal Stresses Reply with quote

Yep, the thermal stresses can really mess things up, especially on stainless. The starter mounting holes ended up getting cut parallel, so it shouldn't affect the starter alignment. I have enough length left in the bellhousing to make another cut if necessary, as long as its not much more than .030 inches.

Rod
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool. That is what mine looks like, but I didn't know that the R and W series...at least the ones I have tried, have a longer input shaft, about 1/4". I will have to research that a little bit, as marlin says they are the same, well I have proof that says different.
ZrodOffline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Input Shaft length or Crankshaft offset from block face? Reply with quote

This stinks!

Input Shaft length or Crankshaft offset from block face?

I measured the depth of the R151F bellhousing at 6-11/32 inches, and I measured the depth of the M- bellhousing at 6-19/32 inches. Basically 1/4 inch difference.

I assumed it was a difference in the input shaft length.

I just measured the r22/w56 bellhousing at 6-11/32 inches! This means the input shafts are probably the same length, and I should have made the bellhousing 6-19/32 inches long instead of shooting for the 6-11/32 inches.

I made the bellhousing long approximately 6-15/32 inches, just under 6-1/2 inches, then milled less than a 1/16th inch off. So I'm at 6-7/16 inches. About 5/32nds short!

I looked at the input shafts of both transmissions and it looks like there is approximately 5/32nds to 3/16ths of an inch clearance from the pilot bushing wear marks and the input shaft splines. The R151F had the larger clearance, yea!

I just need to check the crankshaft to see what I have to work with. The bellhousing may work fine, otherwise I'll have to make a spacer shim.

Man what a pain.

Rod

Last edited by Zrod on Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZrodOffline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon further review, I have exactly 1/16th inch interference at the pilot bearing. Fifteen yard penalty, fourth down.

Plan B: Anybody wanna help a fellow out with another engine plate?

Rod
ZrodOffline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I'll have to run the option.

I made a spacer shim from some 0.115 inch flat plate to fit between the transmission and the back of the bellhousing. This will provide the clearance for the input shaft and pilot bearing.

I measured the from the engine face of the bellhousing to the clutch fork fulcrum of both the M-bellhousing and the custom bellhousing. There was 1/4 inch difference, with the M being longer. No big surprise.

I measured the throwout bearing from the M clutch set and the R/w56 clutch set that I had left over. The distance from the fork mating face to the pressure plate mating face was 1/4 inch difference with the M throwout bearing being longer. Strange thing was the overall length of each throwout bearing was very close, but the R22 bearing had an open back. This might be the difference in manufacturers? It doen't appear to be a problem, whew!

So, I'll be using the R22 throwout bearing and the spacer between the transmission and custom bellhousing.

I think the end result will be that my trany cross member will be off by about 1/8 inch or slightly less. I may have enough give in the isolation mounts to make it work. If not, I have a drill motor with a special woller bit.

Rod

Last edited by Zrod on Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you got that work. I do have extra shim plates though, like 10 of them.
ZrodOffline
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to struggle a bit snakin the old hydraulic clutch line in, but the tranmission slid in and bolted to the engine and the flat plate cross member better than ever.

First down, goal to go.

I did go for a little test ride around the block and everything seemed to shift fine 1st through fifth and reverse. 4 lo and hi worked untill I put the the shifter boots on. Now it pops out of 4 lo. Looks like I'll have to bend the transfercase shifter a little. Any other suggestions?

One more little concern. I put about one quart of gear lube in the transmission shifter hole. Then bolted the shifter in to get it in neutral so that I could finish the driveshaft bolts. When I came back to finish filling the trany I put about 3 more quarts of fluid in the transfercase shifter hole. I didn't even think that the two shifter locations might be seperated. Will the tranny fill from either shifter location?

Rod
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you pull the fill plugs on both of them?

You may have to bend the shifter, or use a different shifter boot.
ZrodOffline
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the fill plug on the transfer case and it was plenty full. I was hoping it would infiltrate to the trany.

I'll pull it back in the garage tomorrow and check the fill plug on the trany. I'm pretty sure the gear reduction and transfer gears are well satisfied. This is going to be a flush/fill. I just need to get it right for the after-flush/fill.

The 4.31 first gear was noticeably lower, and I didn't hear any funky sounds during the block run. I'm diggin'it.

Rod
ZrodOffline
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little update on the fill procedure. If you fill through the shifter openings, the lube must go through the appropriate shifter. Transfer case shifter goes to the transfer case. Trany shifter goes to trany.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: