Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7mge-t Megasquirt2 EFI '85 4x4 x-tracab
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Results of swaps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toddmOffline
Total posts: 10
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: 7mge-t Megasquirt2 EFI '85 4x4 x-tracab Reply with quote

'85 4x4 x-tra cab Megasquirt2 ECU tuned my me running 2.870t3 beta code. Stock 7MGTE turbo and manifold, 7MGTE injectors, Custom 2.5" full exhaust, crosses over in front of the tranny and tucked up to the oil pan, Innovate LC-1 wideband' Custom Water to air intercooler (ebay special) with the radiator mounted in a custom winch bumper and a jabsco pump, Moved the battery to the drivers side, Aluminum radiator w/ core support modded, Working A/C! Milemarker hydraulic winch.
Custom mount for 22r a/c compressor and PS pump. I used a clutch off of an MR2 for the ac compressor because I had it laying around and it was for a ribbed belt.

The truck is now 100% legal and on the road. It dynoed at 230 hp at about 6 psi (stock wastegate boost).

soon i'll put it back on the dyno and tune it for about 12 psi. Hopefully the 214K mile 3rd member will take it.
CorbitOffline
Total posts: 7
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got any pics , it sound like you got a tight set up. How long did it take you to do the swap ?
toddmOffline
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corbit wrote:
Got any pics , it sound like you got a tight set up. How long did it take you to do the swap ?

A LONG time. I think i started by selling the 22r in early '03. Then i took about a year to get all the parts together and completely rebuild a donor 7M. Then I decided to turbocharge it once the motor was mounted and all the 7m wiring done. I found the Megasquirt and decided to use it becase I was having trouble with the stock ecu even getting it to start and idle properly. I found out later that i had assumed wrong about the stock fuel system and had neglected to put in a fuel filter! once the Megasquirt was assembled and wired up I discovered that the stock fuel pump had died. I only got to work on some evenings and a few weekends. I tried lots of stuff that didn't work at first and had to re-engineer alot of things I screwed up. Actually i haven't taken any pics of it in about a year! I need to get on that.
ShepOffline
Total posts: 23
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, please share! I'm at the beginning stages of my swap, so any info (& pics) you can share are greatly appreciated... Smile

Sounds like you've got a sweet setup!
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Get some pictures and some video would be cool too.
toddmOffline
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: link Reply with quote

Here is a link to a blog I just started. Got a few pics and alot of words.
http://todds7m.blogspot.com/

Todd
mx5rushOffline
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just skimmed thru the blog. Very cool reading so far.

How are emissions testing going? I'm in the same boat down in Magnolia Tx... and have already planned on using a megasquirt system if/when I ever do this swap.
toddmOffline
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It passed easily first try with a cat from jc whitney. I set the ego control on and tuned for a 14.7:1 AFR. I think i had it set for about 15 degrees timing throuought the whole area they might run in during the test to keep the nox down.

also an update. I blew it up! At about 19degrees of timing and 10 psi it blew the headgasket. something is wrong. it should have held that easily. I didn't hear any knock but I was on the street and not the dyno. Now I gotta tear it down and see whats wrong with it. The MS2 is doing its job.. I suspect a possible machining problem thats been plaguing me since i rebuilt the short block.

I might just scrap the whole 7M and go with a toyota diesel...1KZ-TE depending on how much it will cost to get the 7M fixed. The truck is fast as hell but I think I would like the grunt of the diesel more.

Last edited by toddm on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
ShepOffline
Total posts: 23
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the blow-up toddm! I just left you a comment on your blog too... Sad
toddmOffline
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have known better than to use a machine shop that mostly does american V8's. I think they set the piston to bore clearance too tight. even though I told them what I wanted. Oh well.. thats how we learn..
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you used a MHG right?
toddmOffline
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope. it had a stock one on it this time. I originally rebuilt it with a MHG but I had a spark plug break up on #6 due to detonation i think. The metal HG came off then and I didn't want to wait for another one before I tried out the motor again. You could have a point about the HG though. I'm going to check out the bottom end completely before I give it another go.
DokOffline
Total posts: 25
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had the block/head machined for a MHG that may be the reason you blew the stock one. Typically stock style HGs won't seal as well on a MHG prepped surface...
toddmOffline
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided its only the HG, I think i'll put in a metal one and sell the truck. I need money to get my FJ40 fixed up. What do you guys think it would be worth if the bottom end is ok and a HG fixes it?
toddmOffline
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I took the head off and checked the cylinders and pistons, no problems there. I put on a new metal HG, put it on the dyno and it was still detonating. I started checking my timing and in the process discovered something I didn't know about the VAST ignitor I was using. I had wrongly assumed that it did not have a built in timing curve since it runs 10 base timing wthout an ECU controlling it. So my timing map was set to about 19 degrees at 6psi of boost but that wasn't really 19 degrees, it was the base timing of the VAST ignitor + 19degrees! I have a feeling the ignitor could only advance the timing so far but it was probably easily in the 40 degree range. No wonder it was detonating! I setup the MS2 to control the coil and now my timing is really where I set it. No more detonation finally!

Its now For Sale: http://www.supracharged.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10335#10335

Todd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Results of swaps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: