Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7M on propane?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Performance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrackerOffline
Total posts: 26
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: 7M on propane? Reply with quote

I've been thinking....would it be possible to run a 7M NA or turbo on propane?
WHat mods would have to done to the EFI system/ECU?

What are the pros/cons?
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Propane is possible on any vehicle. You just have to add some propane injectors I think. It all works off of your stock ecu. Conversion price is around 2K, but you get back a bunch from the government too.

Pro about propane:

Burns cleaner
and well, because it burns cleaner, it keeps your engine clean. Your motor oil will look brand new all the time.

Cons about propane:

Not as accessible as gas
expensive to convert
loss of power
decreased gas milage
stone4x4Offline
Total posts: 4
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Cons about propane:

Not as accessible as gas
expensive to convert
loss of power
decreased gas milage[/quote]
why do you say loss of power?
propane is=to 115 octane
UNBREAKABLEOffline
Total posts: 20
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with stone....propane is 115
Accept nothing nearly right or good enough
Sir Henry Royce
AzBearFanOffline
Total posts: 6
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNBREAKABLE wrote:
I agree with stone....propane is 115

Propane just has a different burn pattern than gasoline. If you convert to straight propane and don't make any other changes to the engine it will produce less power than gasoline. If you take advantage of the higher octane by advancing timing, widening plug gap etc you will make slightly more power (in theory). If you build an engine for propane you can run much higher compression (or boost) without detonating and actually make considerably more power than gas.

Propane actually isn't that expensive to convert to. I am swapping a 5mge into my 85 p/u and was quoted around $900 plus whatever the tank would run me. This eliminates the need for a fuel pump (since a propane system is self pressurized), injectors, etc which really simplifies the swap. Another way to make it even easier is to go to a GM one wire ignition, eliminate the need to hassle with trying to mate the two harnesses and only have two wires necessary to run your engine.... one for iginition and one for the propane. This basically mean that once I have the engine and radiator mounted I just have to hook up and mount the HEI ignition module and coil and get it to the propane shop who will then hook all their stuff up, make sure it runs and will pass emissions.

The bad parts about propane is definitely the availability and a decrease in mileage. Since my rig is going to be trail only and I have a filling station about 10 miles from the house these aren't that big of a deal and the fact that I will only need power to TWO wires and a ground and my truck WILL run far outweighs the negative. I do however plan on carrying one BBQ grill tank with me though on the trail for emergencies
F0ggyOffline
Total posts: 43
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any links where you can buy a propane swap kit? (for a 5M-GE)
4RnrRickOffline

Total posts: 243
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.gotpropane.com ....
deaths_demiseOffline
Total posts: 33
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: propane research results Reply with quote

yeah got propane.com is one of the more popular sites for convesions, but after a few hours on the phone i got ahold of carburation and turbo systems out in min. and all you needa do is send em ur specs and they send you a kit. i was quoted $300-400 vs. gp's $700-1200. there is a catch though... if you are in a state where emisson laws are enforced it is not street legal, funny i know, considering you will be burning much cleaner (epa b.s) for a certified kit you are looking at $12k (tax breaks and gov. grants, etc. though) but i dont know of anyone that makes one for anything other than domestic brands (GM, Ford, Dodge)... just passing on the little i know
deaths_demiseOffline
Total posts: 33
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok also dont go propane if ur going long and hard on ur engine (boggin, desert running, etc) it heats up the engine and bay very fast and makes it burn really hot. propane is good for crawlers and people who may run their vehicle in short spurts... good to know.
eRICKOffline
Total posts: 12
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I want to go with propane! It's so much more efficient that you can't drive it too long without overheating everything
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Performance All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: