Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Steering Pump Rebuild

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Results of swaps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeOffline

Total posts: 272
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Power Steering Pump Rebuild Reply with quote

I just thought I would tell you guys about this in case you run into problems with your pumps...
My power steering pump gave out about 8 months ago, and I have been strong-arming it since. Finally I got around to taking care of it, and it turned out to be a very simple ordeal.
A little background: A rebuilt pump from NAPA, etc, is around $150, and I don't even want to know what a dealer price would be. However you can get a seal kit for about $60 at the dealer, and for $16 at Schucks.
I bought the Schucks seal kit and proceeded to rebuild my pump. The pump is quite easy to disassemble, and basically all of the o-rings were in very bad shape. The problem with the Schucks rebuild kit was that it was missing most of the orings that I needed, and the seal for the pump shaft was the correct inner diameter but too big on the major diameter. The guys at schucks were great about it though, they let me keep the parts of the kit that were useful, gave me my money back, and let me sort through their assorted orings and take the ones I needed. I just reused the shaft seal.
After putting it all back together, it works great. I was suspicous that seals were not the problem, but evidently they were. In fact, after looking at the internals of the pump, seals appears to be the only thing that can fail. All of the machining inside still looked perfect.
In retrospect I would have been better off buying the toyota kit since it would have come with all of the correct orings and the correct seal, I was only hesitant to do so because I didn't think it would work. If you have some time and access to an extensive assortment of orings, you could probably get what you need really cheap and skip the shaft seal if it's not leaking too.
Hopefully this info comes in handy for someone....
JMG4runnerOffline

Total posts: 180
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry if this is a dumb question. The power steering pump is the box on the passenger side, and the power steering box is what actually turns the steering arms correct (driver side)? Where do you connect the power steering pump to the motor? If you have any pics of how they go together that would be great. I also removed a line from the no-longer used rear brake proportioning valve (installed rear discs) that is connected to the power steering pump, is it going to be fine if i just find some way to cap off this line? There is still another line connected to the brake booster area from the PS pump.
MikeOffline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct on the power steering box and pump locations.
I have a pic at home I can post, but you basically just use the bracket that came with the 7gme/7mgte to mount the pump to the block, it's not a big deal assuming you have the bracket.
The power steering pump pressurizes the lsbp valve? I'll have to check that out...
As for connecting the lines to your power steering, pressure line goes to the pump, return line goes to the resevoir, other line goes from reservoir to the inlet on the pump.
JMG4runnerOffline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you talking about the braket just to the bottom left of the fan?

my stock 4runner PS pump is mounted to the frame, are you using a supra PS pump?
JMG4runnerOffline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the rear proportioning valve i removed last weekend, there was one line entering from the brake master cylinder, and a 2nd entering from the ps pump. I took the valve out completely and therefore only re-used the line coming from the brakes, not the PS pump. It dripped for awhile then quit, so im assuming my ps pump is empty now.

MikeOffline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I would think that you would be fine just capping that line off, though you may want to eliminate as much of the line as possible first.
Yes, I am running the supra power steering pump. And yes, the bracket that can be seen in the pic is the top bracket used for mounting the supra pump, the lower one bolts to the bottom of the block. I thought about using the 4runner pump since the supra one is a little undersized, but it is easier to just use the supra one.
JMG4runnerOffline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone using the 4runner ps pump? I'd prefer to leave it if possible, since its already hooked up to the PS box. i just dont see where it hooks into the motor, but maybe im just blind and need to look harder.

edit: the 4runner ps pump has a hose coming out of it that i think connected to the motor somewhere for power. The supra one is belt driven from the looks of the pics on your website. I dont see how you could use anything but the supra pump. that could explain my confusion
MikeOffline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4runner pump is belt driven as well. The stoc V6 pump mounted on the passenger side like the supra one, except higher up and it had the reservoir mounted on the pump. I believe that the 4 cyl pumps are located on the drivers side.
If you started with a V6 4Runner you can route the stock line to connect to the supra pump, though a custom hose is a better idea. If you started with a 4 cyl, I believe you need a custom hose.
MikeOffline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for mounting the Supra pump, this might help:

JMG4runnerOffline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its been so long since i took the V6 out i cant even remember what was what, and this is my first attempt at doing any major motor work so all of this is learn as i go. Thanks for the pic, that helps alot
MikeOffline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I learned as I went too so I know how you feel. Don't hesitate to ask questions, it can save a lot of headache...
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

making custom hoses for the PS pump is easy.

Actually I origanlally used the stock lines. I removed the ABS unit(don't need it no more) THen the line that went into the ABS unit, I heated it up and bent it to plug right into the supra pump. A then accidently ruined the line and spent $30 making a custom high pressure flexible line. Well worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Results of swaps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: